The NC State University Awards for Excellence is the most prestigious honor bestowed upon non-faculty employees.
The NC State Awards for Excellence commence each year when all colleges and business units across campus select employees to be recognized as Awards for Excellence recipients. In addition to receiving eight hours of paid time off and a $250 cash-award from the respective college or business unit, recipients are also honored at the NC State University Awards for Excellence ceremony, where up to twelve individuals receive special distinction as recipients of the NC State University Awards for Excellence.
The twelve possible recipients of the NC State University Awards for Excellence receive an additional eight hours of paid time off, a cash-award for $1,000, and an engraved award plaque. The NC State University Awards for Excellence recipients are also submitted for consideration for the Governor’s Awards for Excellence, which is the highest honor awarded to a State of North Carolina employee.
The NC State University Awards for Excellence recognize the meritorious accomplishments and contributions of individual employees. The NC State University Awards for Excellence recognize the notable contributions that are above and beyond an employee’s normal job responsibilities. These meritorious achievements or accomplishments should be so singularly outstanding that special recognition is justified.
Awards for Excellence candidates should demonstrate excellence in their departments or divisions, the NC State campus community, the State of North Carolina, or the lives of others.
Eligible employees may be nominated in only one of the following award categories:
- Customer Service: This category recognizes a candidate who provides/provided exceptional service that left the customer fully satisfied with their experience. The candidate exceeded expectations to meet the needs of the customer and added value to the customer experience
- Efficiency and Innovation: This category recognizes a candidate who has made a significant contribution in improving the efficiency of state government services. The candidate has established new and/or improved methods, practices, plans or designs resulting in innovation, savings and/or efficiency.
- Human Relations: This category recognizes a candidate who has made an outstanding contribution toward enhancing the quality or morale of the workplace or toward enhancing the public image of a department or division, NC State University, or state government.
- Outstanding State Government Service: This category recognizes a candidate who demonstrates an unselfish devotion to duty far and above the normal requirements and contributes significantly to the advancement of state service to the citizens of North Carolina.
- Public Service: This category recognizes a candidate who has made an outstanding contribution through volunteerism or through implementing community or public service projects.
- Safety and Heroism: This category recognizes a candidate who demonstrates outstanding judgment or courage in an emergency, voluntarily risking his/her life or exhibited meritorious action to prevent injury, loss of life or prevented damage to or loss of property.
- Spirit of North Carolina: This category recognizes a candidate who exemplifies the state motto “To be, rather than to seem” by mentoring others in the pursuit of excellence and serving as an ambassador for the State of North Carolina. This award category is reserved for exceptional circumstances and for accomplishments and achievements of the highest caliber.
Active SHRA employees, including law enforcement and cooperative extension employees, working at least 30 hours each week (0.75 FTE), are eligible to be nominated for the NC State University Awards for Excellence. Active EHRA employees, excluding executive administrators in the SAAO Tier I category, Department Heads, and faculty in the JCAT 100 and 200 categories, working at least 30 hours each week (0.75 FTE), are also eligible to be nominated for the NC State University Awards for Excellence.
Temporary employees, retirees, and positions classified as executive administrators in the SAAO Tier I category and faculty in the JCAT 100 and 200 categories are not eligible for the NC State University Awards for Excellence. Examples of temporary employees include, but are not limited to, graduate assistants, house officers, postdoctoral scholars, and student workers. Groups or teams are also ineligible for the NC State University Awards for Excellence.
All Awards for Excellence nominations require the approval of the nominee’s manager. Nominees will be disqualified in the event of any active or pending disciplinary actions or in the event of documented disciplinary actions within the preceding 18 months.
Each college and business unit has the flexibility to establish the nomination and selection criteria for their Awards for Excellence Nominations. Please contact your college or division coordinator for more information.
College / Unit
|Office of the Chancellor||Lindsay Recchieemail@example.com|
|Office of External Affairs, Partnerships, and Economic Development||Debbie Robertsonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Office of Finance and Administration||Candice Jichaemail@example.com|
|Office of Information Technology||Kim McCallisterfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Office of Research, Innovation and Economic Development||Miriam Hinesemail@example.com|
|Office of the Provost||Judy Austinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Division of Academic and Student Affairs||Laura DeFreitasemail@example.com|
|Office of University Advancement||Adrian Harrisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Agriculture and Life Sciences||Claudia Melloemail@example.com|
|College of Design||Joyce Stevensfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Education||Mandy Blackmonemail@example.com|
|College of Engineering||Connie Renofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Humanities and Social Sciences||Crissy Williams-Brownemail@example.com|
|Poole College of Management||Donna Barrettfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Natural Resources||Trenel Hollowayemail@example.com|
|College of Sciences||Jamie Vrabel Barberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Textiles||Debbie Mostekemail@example.com|
|College of Veterinary Medicine||Tamara Talmadgefirstname.lastname@example.org|