Change in Spouse’s Employment

General Rule

Change in a spouse’s employment is generally a qualifying event and causes a new 30-day window to open for conditional changes to benefit plans. The 30-day window begins on the date the spouse loses eligibility for coverage or begins new employment.

Health Benefits

If your spouse’s eligibility for coverage through his/her employer changes, adjustments to your State Health Plan (SHP) may be made within 30 days of the change date. The earliest effective date for SHP changes is the first of the month following the spouse’s change in eligibility date. Premiums are paid on a pre-pay basis (paid one month ahead). Documentation must be uploaded in the online enrollment portal.  Click here to see required documentation.

Click to view instructions on how to make changes to your health coverage. (scroll down to the coverage changes section)

NCFlex Benefits

Certain changes to NCFlex benefit plans are permitted if a spouse’s own eligibility for coverage changes. Requests must be made within 30 days of the spouse’s change date and become effective on the first of the month following the date the change is processed. Click here for instructions for making changes.  Following is a summary of changes:

EVENT: Spouse begins employment and gains coverage

EVENT: Spouse terminates employment and loses coverage

EVENT: Spouse changes from part-time to full-time and becomes benefits eligible

EVENT: Spouse changes from full-time to part-time and loses benefits eligibility

Note: Waiting periods or evidence of insurability may apply.

MetLife Group Term Life Insurance

A spouse who loses eligibility for coverage may be added to an employee’s plan within 30 days of the loss (as may dependent children). Coverage becomes effective the first of the month following the date evidence of insurability approval is received. To add a spouse and/or dependent children, complete a MetLife enrollment form and an Evidence of Insurability document for each individual to be added, then submit all to the University Benefits Office.