What is #GivingTuesday
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Hosted the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, as well as the widely recognized shopping days of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday focuses on celebrating and supporting philanthropy through giving. Celebrate #GivingTuesday by donating money, food or other items that will support Feed The Pack Pantry.
Whether you choose to donate as part of a team/department or individually, we encourage you to make your mark on addressing food insecurity in our community. The team and individual who donates the most items will be recognized with an engraved brick.
Special thanks to the official event sponsor of #Giving Tuesday
For a century, TIAA—one of the nation’s largest financial services firms—has been making a difference for the institutions and communities that we serve. To celebrate our centennial year, we challenge you to make a difference for NC State’s Wolfpack on Giving Tuesday, November 27, 2018.
In honor of the good work we do, TIAA will join the Wolfpack challenge to help your community by donating $1 for every food pantry point earned by faculty and staff on Giving Tuesday, up to a maximum of $5,000. TIAA believes that everyone has the power to make a difference in the world and the lives that surround them.
Food Insecurity at NC State
- Approximately 14 percent of students at NC State experience low food security. This means students are cutting portion sizes, skipping meals, eating less often and going hungry.
- Despite scholarship and financial aid, students are still unable to financially keep pace with rising tuition and escalating costs of living, forcing them into low food security.
- Staff and Faculty are also dealing with food insecurity issues. Forty-five percent of the Feed the Pack pantry users are employees.
NC State offers the Feed the Pack food pantry, food recovery programs, an on-campus community garden and meal donation opportunity for students and employees who may be experiencing low food security.
How can I get involved?
Make a donation on Tuesday, November 27, 2018, between 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. in the Talley Student Union Lobby to make a donation.
We are also collecting items November 19 and 20 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Talley Student Union.
Most Needed Items
- Healthy snacks
- Nut butter
- Mashed potatoes
- Prepackaged meals (Hamburger Helper, Chef Boyardee, etc.)
- Canned meat
- Canned fruit
- Canned tomatoes
- Hygiene (deodorant, feminine products)
Join the Challenge
The group or individual with the highest point total will be rewarded with their own personalized engraved brick.
Food Pantry Points
|Fruits (fruitcups, non-perishable)||4|
|Monetary Donations||.5 for every dollar|