September 23 – November 17, 2019
The next state-wide Miles for Wellness Challenge 20: The Moonlight Trail, begins Sept. 23. For eight weeks participants from across all state agencies and UNC System institutions will compete in this step challenge celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Apollo Moon mission by virtually visiting museums and exhibits that explore space travel.
Participating teams begin their virtual journey in North Carolina at the Museum of Life and Science Aerospace exhibit, travel across the U.S. to visit NASA facilities, a museum dedicated to Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong, and more. Participants return North Carolina, to finish their virtual adventure at the North Carolina Museum of History’s exhibit “The One Giant Leap: North Carolina and the Space Race.”
NC State Faculty and Staff can team up to compete in this challenge reporting their steps (or physical exercise activities).
For those without a team, there is a link for people in need of a team. Please go to https://oshr.nc.gov/miles-wellnesschallenge-20 and click on the “Click here to Register” button, scroll to the bottom of the form to “Need a Team” and click on the link to find a team to join. Contact a captain listed there and join today!
Characteristics of a Team
- Any interested state employee can participate. For the purpose of this program only, if an employee is contributing to the State Retirement System, he/she is considered a state employee and eligible for this benefit offered through the Total Rewards Division of the NC Office of State Human Resources.
- Each team must have a captain.
- Teams are made of up to 10 state employees. Teams with 10 members are more likely to participate competitively then teams with fewer members.
- Team members from various government employers can be on the same team.
- Each team must have a team name specific to that team. Duplications of team names are not allowed.
- Each team will be classified throughout the competition in one of these four divisions; Tortoise, Hare, Super Hare, and/or Bionic Hare.
- Before starting the competition, team members are to sign the Liability Waiver Form and turning it into their team captain to keep throughout the challenge. This waiver must be signed anew for each challenge.
- Team members can accumulate steps through the use of a pedometer for walking, aerobics, and other activities of daily living, and exercise conversions for those activities that would not register on a pedometer; i.e., swimming, cycling, weight lifting, etc.
- Team members report their steps weekly to their team captain for recording purposes.
- For those without a team, there is a link for people in need of a team. Click on the “Click here to Register” button, scroll to the bottom of the form to “Need a Team” and click on the link to find a team to join. Contact a captain listed there and join today!