The Human Resources (HR) Benefits department administers the Service Awards Program. Our staff fulfill a vital role in the teaching of the brightest students, attracting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff and leading the way with ground-breaking research. NC State values the importance of recognizing the contributions and commitment of its community. This program is designed to provide recognition to employees for their years of service and commitment to the university and the State of North Carolina.
What Service Recognition and Gifts are provided?
Employees who achieve 5 years of service [and in 5 year increments thereafter] will receive an invitation to an annual Service Awards Breakfast and will be given a special service award gift for each 5-year category.
Annually, employees who achieve 25 years of service will be honored by the Chancellor during the Quarter Century Breakfast where they receive their lapel pin and commemorative engraved brick.
Who is eligible for recognition and awards?
- Eligible SHRA and EHRA employees are recognized for their total State of NC Service.
- Tenured & tenure-track faculty in the JCAT 200 series
- Non-tenure-track faculty in the JCAT 200 series, including librarians and extension agents with NTT faculty status
- Service in ‘non-permanent’ positions such as postdoc, CVM house officer, temp, grad assistant, or student worker roles do not count toward service requirement
- Rehired Retirees
Prior to each calendar year, HR identifies NC State University employees who may be eligible for service recognition based on years of service with the university and/or the state, as applicable.
How will recipients be recognized?
Annually, the HR Benefits Office will sponsor a Service Awards Breakfast to recognize those who have achieved these service milestones of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45, etc. After the breakfast, attendees will receive a special gift to commemorate their service.
Due to the volume of honorees in 2019, there was two service award events:
- 5-10 Year Honorees were recognized at a ceremony on January 29, 2020
- 15-50 Year Honorees were recognized at a ceremony on February 3, 2020
The 2019 Quarter Century Breakfast was held on November 1, 2019.
Additionally each year, employees who achieve 25 years of service will be honored by the Chancellor during the Quarter Century Breakfast where they receive their lapel pin and a commemorative engraved brick. Invitations are sent directly to honorees from the Chancellor’s event staff.