NC State University offers two supplemental disability plans to provide long-term disability benefits through convenient payroll deductions. Long-term disability (LTD) benefits are provided through either Lincoln Financial Group or Standard Insurance Company. The Lincoln Financial Group LTD plan is only for those in the Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System (TSERS) or Law Enforcement Officers Retirement System (LEORS). The Standard Insurance LTD is only for participants in the Optional Retirement Program (ORP).
Effective Dates of Coverage
Upon enrollment in a supplemental disability plan, coverage will begin the first of the month following the enrollment date or on January 1 if enrolling during an annual enrollment period.
Supplemental disability coverage ends on the last day of employment or benefits eligibility.
What Are The Benefits?
Lincoln Financial Group Long-Term Disability (For TSERS/LEORS Participants Only)
- This supplemental long-term disability insurance, offered by Lincoln Financial Group, was designed to provide coverage for those employee’s who are not yet eligible for the State’s plan, or who wish to supplement the State’s disability benefits. The plan is available, at a nominal cost, only to employees who are participating in TSERS.
- After a 60-day waiting period, employee’s may receive a benefit equal to 66-2/3% of their monthly salary up to a maximum monthly benefit of $10,000. New employees may enroll within sixty days without completing a medical questionnaire.
- This plan coordinates with benefits received from Social Security, Workers’ Compensation, and DIPNC (once the employee becomes eligible for the State’s short- and/or long-term benefits). Premiums are reduced after five years of contributing membership to the State Retirement System.
Standard Long-Term Disability (For ORP Participants Only)
- This supplemental long-term disability insurance plan, offered at a nominal cost by The Standard, is available only to participants in the Optional Retirement Program. Designed to help fill the gaps left by the State’s plan, this program replaces up to 66-2/3% of the employee’s monthly wage base up to a maximum of $15,000 per month.
- In addition, the plan protects the employee’s retirement by providing a contribution equal to the monthly employee and employer retirement contribution (currently a combined total of 12.84%). New employees may enroll within sixty (60) days without completing a medical questionnaire.
- This plan coordinates with benefits received from Social Security, Workers’ Compensation, and DIPNC (once the employee becomes eligible for the State’s short- and/or long-term benefits).
How Much Does It Cost?
Lincoln Financial Group Long-Term Disability
- Premium amounts are determined by the employee’s monthly salary multiplied by an age-based rate factor. Once an employee attains five years of creditable service with the Retirement System, the employee moves to rate table 2 in that month which represent lower rates.
- Click here to view a cost sheet
Standard Long-Term Disability
- Premium amounts are determined by the employee’s monthly salary multiplied by pre-determined rate factors for both the disability income and retirement income protection components of the plan.
- Click here to view a cost sheet
Lincoln Financial Group Insurance
- Lincoln Financial Group Enrollment/Change Form
- Lincoln Financial Group Plan Summary
- Lincoln Financial Group Statement of Health (not for new hires enrolling in their first 60-days)
Standard Insurance Company
- Standard Plan Information
- Standard Insurance Co. Enrollment Form
- Standard Insurance Co. Statement of Health (not for new hires enrolling in their first 60-days)